Erasing Shadows (Book One)
By K.D. Rose
What if to save the ones you love, you had to unlock the key to a different reality?
Generations of mystery smash together when a seemingly traditional family must shatter their illusions of normality to confront themselves and their friends, leaving no possibility unexplored in order to rescue- well, who exactly? Watch the Ross family, the High Five Gang, and multiple generations dig into an innovative explosion of imagination where they must confront numerous realities, real-world danger, and worst of all—their own teenage hormones!
In a place where nothing is as it seems and shocks are around every corner, even the people you thought you knew may find themselves strangers in this moving and provocative reality-bender. With breathless pacing and psychological intrigue, Erasing: Shadows and the High Five Gang will keep you guessing until the very end.
** I received a free ARC of this book from the author through Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review **
Erasing: Shadows was a very unique book.
Mira and Michael have been together since childhood. Michael is still so in love with his wife after all these years. So when the unexpected happens and Mira finds herself stuck in the astral plane with no recollection of the real world or her family, there is no hesitation. Michael will do whatever it takes to save his wife. Including calling up their old friends, The High Five Gang, for one more adventure.
There were a lot of things to like about this book and yes, some things that could have been better.
- First, there were parts of this book that I really got in to and enjoyed. I would find myself getting sucked in to certain scenes and then in the next scene it would read more like a children's book and throw me off completely. Not that those scenes weren't enjoyable too. It just made it a little harder to fully connect to the story when it felt like we were switching genres.
- Some of the characters could have used a bit more development. We get a lot of character background on Mira and Michael but, even at the end of the book, the other characters are more or less a blank slate. I would have liked to know a little more about the other members of The High Five Gang.
- It seemed like there were a few questions left unanswered at by the end of the book. I know that this is the way things are done in a series but there were a few questions left unanswered that should have been answered in this book. For example,
- How did The High Five Gang meet? In school?
- What made them such good friends that they would rush to each other's rescue after decades of no contact?
- What specifically caused the riff between Stu and Michael besides Stu's arrogance and know-it-all attitude.
- What exactly is the issue between Jonathan and his mother?
This was a good book but it could have been great with a little more detail and development.
Now on to the good part. The things I did like.
As I've previously mentioned, this book has a very unique storyline. I read a lot but this is the first book I've ever picked up on this subject, which is saying something as a lot of book just seem to blend into each other these days. I found the idea and wonder of Erasing: Shadows to be very interesting.
While some of the characters could have used more development, the world building was top notch. It's obvious that the author put a lot of thought and imagination into this alternate reality and it really paid off. While I was in the astral plane with The High Five Gang, I felt like I was able to experience everything right along with them. From the sights to the sounds to the gravel digging into my legs at the emergency meeting place.
I also really liked the way Mrs. Ross's character grew in the story. She was probably my favorite and I wasn't expecting that in the beginning of the book. She was very mysterious and moody to start but really grows throughout the book.
In the end, while there are a few things that could have improved this book, I thought it was a good read. It was fast paced and action packed and it held my interest. I will most definitely be reading the next book in the series to find out what adventures The High Five Gang have in store for me next.
About The Author
Find Erasing: Shadows (Book One) by K.D. Rose on Goodreads
Like K.D. Rose on Facebook
Follow K.D. Rose on Twitter
Follow K.D. Rose's Blog